Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Alliance Records
Scope and Contents
The Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Alliance Records consist of memorabilia and scrapbooks of the auxiliary group to the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County, run by the physician's spouses, with records dating from 1941 to 2006. The memorabilia and scrapbooks document the various activities sponsored by the auxiliary. Also in the collection are two binders about the group's history. Some of the scrapbooks in the collection have been disassembled and are in various conditions that include loose pages and loose newspaper clippings. Most of the scrapbooks cover two years, but others can include up to ten years within a single scrapbook. Some of the memorabilia include magazines of Toledo Medicine, newspapers, photos, letters, and laminated placemats.
- 1941 - 2006
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials may be accessed by request at the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library on the main campus of the University of Toledo. Materials do not circulate.
Conditions Governing Use
In most cases, the Canaday Center does not own the copyright and literary rights to items in its collections; it is the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to U.S. Copyright and Fair Use laws, including seeking permission from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials. Providing copies or scans does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
Biographical / Historical
The Woman’s Auxiliary to the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County was established in 1941 It later became known as the Auxiliary to the Academy of Medicine and Lucas County and ultimately changed its name to the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Alliance, which it is known as today. Its mission is to "support and uphold the programs of The Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County, the Ohio State Medical Alliance and to promote the health of the community through health education and philanthropic activities." They achieve this mission by studying the existing conditions in the health field, considering proposed legislation in the medical field, and assisting the Academy of Medicine as desired. From the encouragement of the former Academy President Earl Huffer, a constitution and bylaws were prepared and a slate of officers was selected for election. Mrs. Helen (Ralph P.) Daniells was elected as the first president on February 15, 1941. The membership of the Auxiliary was open to spouses of doctors who were affiliated with the Academy. There were 157 charter members in 1941, which has since grown to more than 400.
Each year the Auxiliary participated in multiple activities. For example, in 1947 they toured the Toledo Blade building in groups of twenty-five and attended a talk entitled “Newspaper and Public Relations”. Additionally, that same year, they toured multiple Toledo plants, as well as published its first yearbook that included the constitution, a complete roster of members, and other items that the Auxiliary thought would be of interest.
One important Auxiliary activity was working with the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) Executive Director Charles Nelson, who asked the Auxiliary to assist OSMA in combating proposed legislation on the “comprehensive magnification of the social security program in the country, with the provisions for medical services, hospitalizations, etc." Their fight was against the compulsory health insurance that was soon to follow. Mr. Nelson’s request became one of the Auxiliary's major activities.
Other Auxiliary activities included a Library Membership Drive that was so successful it became necessary to hire a full-time professional librarian, when they previously had members staff the library three times a week. Then, during World War II the activities centered on the war effort and each month the Auxiliary sold thousands of dollars in Victory Bonds. Other important projects included subscription sales to the magazine Hygeia which later became Today’s Health, which was placed in physician's offices, schools and libraries.
One of the earliest projects and a particular favorite of the Auxiliary was the Nurses’ scholarship program that was created because of the nursing shortages both locally in the nation.
Other actives included study groups covering topics such as Guidance, Home Orating, Survey of Public Health Services in Lucas County, and Child Development; planning and financing a new site for a newer, modern Academy of Medicine building and library in 1949-1950; participation in the Lucas County Fair by distributing literature on and the showing of a film as well as other exhibits; and a Halloween masquerade party. The Auxiliary also participated in “College Night” that was sponsored by the Toledo Branch of the American Association of University Women with student nurses in uniform distributing catalogs from several hospital training schools and the University of Toledo nursing program. Also, an organized group from the Auxiliary attended a two-week course at the University of Toledo and the National Resources Council that was presented in Toledo by the Armed Forces. Lastly, the Auxiliary held Annual Dinner Dances since 1954.
The Auxiliary continued its many and varied activities into the next decade, but in 1960 it dropped its Mother’s March for the National Polio Foundation due to the controversial opinions among physicians, as well as the Sauk vaccine, which had reduced the epidemic’s urgency. Another project that they had dropped was the Essay Contest since at the time only parochial and county schools participated and the number of contestants was too small to warrant the time and expense. In 1960, the Auxiliary inaugurated several new projects, including a new service called Pre-Parent Classes as well a new approach to the Annual Auxiliary-Academy Dance which in 1968 became known as the Aesculapian Ball. Another first for the Auxiliary was its first joint program with the Bar Auxiliary that was used to establish good public relations.
During 1963-1964 the Auxiliary made some significant innovations such as new organizational plans for the committees that opened during the State Fall Conference in Toledo. In 1966, the Auxiliary celebrated its silver anniversary year, closing the year out being awarded a Gold Seal Certification at the State meeting in Cleveland. On December 4, 1967 the Auxiliary launched the inauguration of the Meals on Wheels program. By 1968, they had opened service to three hospitals: St. Charles Hospital, St. Vincent Hospital, and Mercy Hospital. In 1991 the Auxiliary celebrated their Golden Anniversary. At this point the Auxiliary had had 50 presidents.
The Alliance continues to serve the communities of Toledo and Northwest Ohio today. They publish a quarterly newsletter, host fundraisers, and administer projects that include the Ronald McDonald House, Save-A-Shelter, Peace Project, and Mobile Meals of Toledo.
To learn more about the Alliance, visit https://www.lcmalliance.org/.
Sources cited: History of the Women’s Auxiliary to the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County 1941- 1960 (In collection) History of the Women’s Auxiliary to the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County 1960-1991 (In collection)
17 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Alliance Records
- Sarah "Nicky" Rhymes
- October 7, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- First Edition