Feilbach School for Crippled Children Collection
Scope and Contents
The records of Charles Feilbach School for Crippled Children are composed of both standardized and oversized photos, documents pertaining to an assembly in 1964, lists of furniture and equipment, newspaper clippings of the Co-founder, and school photos from 1971 to 1975.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials may be accessed by request at the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library on the main campus of the University of Toledo. Materials do not circulate.
Conditions Governing Use
In most cases, the Canaday Center does not own the copyright and literary rights to items in its collections; it is the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to U.S. Copyright and Fair Use laws, including seeking permission from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials. Providing copies or scans does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Feilbach was born on a farm in Sandusky County, Ohio on April 23, 1862. After receiving an education at the Sandusky county schools, he moved to the city of Toledo to start an apprenticeship in harness making at the age of 16. Unsatisfied with this work, he instead became a traveling salesman for a Toledo grocery house. During his time as a salesman, he learned about running grocery houses. He helped found the Feilbach Company in 1889 and in 1900 he became the president of the company. He served as the head of the National Wholesale Grocers’ association and the Ohio chapter of the association for the next 15 years. Charles Feilbach was also one of the founding members of the Rotary Club in 1912 and then served as the director of the club’s good fellowship committee for seven years. It is through Charles Feilbach’s actions in the Rotary Club that allowed for the Charles Feilbach School to be built.
In 1917, a member of the District Nurse Association Emma Roberts asked Rotary President Charles Feilbach to help build a school for disabled children. Feilbach agreed and with the help of Dr. William B. Guitteau, the school superintendent, the school was built in the Old Central High School located on Madison Avenue and Adams. The school opened in October 1917. Charles Feilbach served not only as a member of the Board of Education but was also its president. The Feilbach school was initially just called the Crippled Children’s School but after Feilbach died in 1924, the school was renamed to Feilbach School in his honor. When the school officially opened its doors, there were eight students, though the number would grow over the years. Miss Nackie Wright served as the first principal of Feilbach School from 1918 until 1946. Every day, Rotary member Will Standart would visit the school. When it was a student’s birthday, he would give them a silver pencil. Every month the school received $1,000 a month from the Rotary Club. Clothes and other supplies were also given to the school by courtesy of the Rotary Club. Trips, plays, and other activities were common at Feilbach School with the Rotary Club often providing assistance to these activities. The Toledo Board of Education authorized the construction of a new school in 1930. The new Feilbach School would be located at the intersection between Stanley Court and Wilson Plaza. A new Feilbach was built at Glendale Avenue in South Toledo and in 1976, the Glendale-Feilbach School officially opened its doors.
(2010). Feilbach School, Photos of Portraits, Plaques, and Other Pictures. Feilbach School for Crippled Children Photograph Collection (MSS-307, box 1, folder 1).
Floyd, B. ed. (2010). From institutions to independence: A history of people with disabilities in northwest Ohio. Toledo, OH: University of Toledo Press.
Mauk, C. (2000, June 24). Charles Feilbach A Starting Point. Retrieved October 28, 2002, from http://www.toledorotary.org/CharlesFeilbach.html (web page is no longer available)
The Toledo Rotary Club. Album and Scrap Book Charles Feilbach School of Toledo 1921-1931 Volume 1 (MSS-145, box 14)
The Toledo Rotary Club. Album and Scrap Book Charles Feilbach School of Toledo 1931-1943 Volume 2 (MSS-145, box 14)
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Dr. Romulus Durant Toledo Public Schools
Some photographs and news clippings are brittle and should be handled with care.
- Feilbach School for Crippled Children Collection
- Matthew Thieroff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement
- First Edition