A. Rensch & Company Financial Records
Scope and Contents
The collection A. Rensch and Company Financial records consists of ledgers, correspondence, catalogs, brochures, census of business, price lists, tax documents, licenses, and other printed materials. They date from the 1920s to the early 2000s. Overall, the collection is in fair condition. The ledgers vary in size, with both loose pages as well as fully-intact ledger books. Some books that have been stored in folded or curled position over time were unable to be flattened by the processor and are still folded or curled, so caution should be used when handling.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials may be accessed by request at the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library on the main campus of the University of Toledo. Materials do not circulate.
Conditions Governing Use
In most cases, the Canaday Center does not own the copyright and literary rights to items in its collections; it is the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to U.S. Copyright and Fair Use laws, including seeking permission from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials. Providing copies or scans does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
Biographical / Historical
The A. Rensch and Company was founded in 1882 by Anton and Benedict Rensch, who were Swiss immigrants. The company began in downtown Toledo on Washington Street, where they sold their native Swiss cheese. Soon after, the business expanded, and the store moved to Monroe Street in 1888, to an area now considered to be Toledo’s historic Warehouse District. During the 20th century, A. Rensch and company began importing specialized foods and gift boxes which later became the company's main product. It was the company's tradition for family members to greet customers, who shopped for different canned foods, rare teas and coffees, as well as imported meats and cheeses. The company continued to operate out of its Monroe Street location until its closure in 2016. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
References: Advertising Brochure for A. Rensch & Company, "A Heritage of Fine Foods," 1988. The Henry Ford. (n.d.). https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/374943#slide=gs-290610. Ligibel, P. A Heritage of Fine Foods, A. Rensch & Co., 1988.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- A. Rensch & Company Financial Records 1920-2005
- Sarah "Nicky" Rhymes
- June 1, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement