United Way of Greater Toledo Collection
Scope and Contents
The scrapbook collection’s clippings include updates of fund drives, explanations of the work of the United Way and its agencies, profiles of individuals benefiting from the agencies that receive funding, as well as changes in names and buildings throughout the years 1941 to 1983. There is also miscellaneous material including fund drive literature and publicity, which was not included in a scrapbook.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials may be accessed by request at the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library on the main campus of the University of Toledo. Materials do not circulate.
Conditions Governing Use
In most cases, the Canaday Center does not own the copyright and literary rights to items in its collections; it is the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to U.S. Copyright and Fair Use laws, including seeking permission from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials. Providing copies or scans does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
Biographical / Historical
In 1918, seventeen new public campaigns to raise funds for the war effort began in Toledo. Confusion arose about which of the agencies the public should contribute to, since there were already several charities soliciting funds. Some Toledoans met to solve the problem. They proposed a “war chest,” combining fund drives into one annual donation. The desire to reduce negative responses to solicitations overcame the existing agencies’ concerns about being undercut in their authority and losing funds for their particular organizations. The United Appeal began on May 14, 1918, as a war chest.
In 1920, after the war, the chest was retained for local agencies; its name was changed to the Toledo Community Chest. To eliminate duplication of services, volunteers from agencies formed the Council of Social Agencies. Agencies included the Boys’ Club, Toledo Day Nursery, and the YMCA, for example. War related charities revived during World War II and the Korean War.
In 1960, the fund raising portion of the chest was named “United Appeal,” and, in 1962, the fund drive became the “Crusade of Mercy.” The Stranahan Memorial Community Services Building was constructed to house chest offices; the building was ready to occupy in 1973.
Today the United Way of Greater Toledo supports seventy human service agencies in Lucas, Ottawa, Wood, and eastern Fulton Counties. Its mission is to increase the capacity of people working together to care for one another.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The scrapbook collection was given to The Ward M. Canaday Center in November of 1989 by Glenn Richter, President of the United Way of Greater Toledo.
- United Way of Greater Toledo Collection
- Susan Schwerer; updated in July 2014; last updated by Oliver Brown, April 2022
- February 1990
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Edition statement