Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a variety of materials sent to Dr. William Leckie of the Department of History, University of Toledo, in 1966. A few miscellaneous items such as the 1964 Toledo Health Fair pamphlet and a 1965 annual report of the Academy’s committees from the mid-1960s are included; but most of the unpublished material was apparently assembled in the late 1950s by the Historical Committee of the Academy.
The historical material includes a pamphlet written in 1954 on the history of the Academy entitled “Magnificent Century,” with a 1958 supplement; correspondence concerning the history of the Flower Hospital and Maumee Valley Hospital; memorial notices of members; and newspaper clippings. Worthy of mention is a medical diploma granted at Eaton, Madison County, New York, to Blakesley H. Bush (1808-1873), who came to Toledo to practice medicine in 1834.
Beginning in December of 1991, the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County has continued to donate copies of its bimonthly journal to The Ward M. Canaday Center. These journals cover a variety of topics, including medical updates, Academy news, and pieces of the Academy’s history.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials may be accessed by request at the Ward M. Canaday Center for Special Collections on the fifth floor of the William S. Carlson Library on the main campus of the University of Toledo. Materials do not circulate.
Conditions Governing Use
In most cases, the Canaday Center does not own the copyright and literary rights to items in its collections; it is the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to U.S. Copyright and Fair Use laws, including seeking permission from the copyright holder and payment of any royalty fees, in the reproduction and use of archival materials.
Providing copies or scans does not constitute a license to publish or reproduce images in print or electronic form.
Biographical / Historical
The roots of the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County can be found in The Toledo Medical Association. Formed in 1851 by eight “regular” Toledo physicians the Association acted to set rates, to foster the growth of hospitals, and to publish a journal.
After the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 the members of the Association adopted a resolution to attend to the medical needs of volunteer soldiers at no cost.
In 1874 the Toledo Medical Association helped establish Toledo’s second hospital. The facility was first located near East Bancroft Street, and later moved to the corner of Cherry and Bancroft streets. It presently overlooks Ottawa Park and has grown into The Toledo Hospital.
In 1902 the Toledo Medical Association merged with the Lucas County Medical Society, consolidating the two groups into the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County.
Between 1902 and 1920 the Academy was without a permanent structure to hold their meetings. This changed in 1920 when the Academy voted to purchase the former Progress Club building at the corner of 15th and Monroe streets.
In the 1940s the Academy decided that their current headquarters would no longer be sufficient due to ever increasing membership. In 1944 the first Building Committee was appointed. After several years and disagreements as to the location of the new building, the Academy decided on an abandoned lot on the corner of Central and Collingwood. The building was dedicated on September 19, 1952. In 1976 the Academy moved to Secord Road where it is still located today.
During the 40 years that the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County has been in existence, it has been an integral part of the welfare of the people living in Toledo and surrounding areas. The Academy has played a key role in the founding of nine of Toledo’s hospital facilities, and has published a bimonthly journal since 1877.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
William Leckie, Professor of History, University of Toledo, received this material from Dr. Gordon M. Todd of the Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County in 1966. Leckie was apparently engaged in research on the history of medicine in Toledo. A verbal agreement to allow the Ward M. Canaday Center to accession this collection was made in 1987 by Lee F. Wealton, Executive Director of the Academy.
In December of 1991, The Ward M. Canaday Center was given copies of the Academy’s journals dating from 1966. Since that time, the Center has received copies of the journal as they are published.
- Academy of Medicine of Toledo and Lucas County Records
- Paul M. Gifford, April 1987; accretion, Jamie L. Wraight, December 1991; updated June 2014; updated by Sara Mouch, April 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description